Keto Philly Italian Pork Sandwich
Keto Philly Italian Pork Sandwich
- 1 Ketonia Baking Mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs butter room temperature
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbs instant yeast
- Poppy seeds
- 1 egg mixed with 1 tbs water egg wash
- 3 pounds boneless pork butt cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoons ground fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary minced
- 8 cloves garlic grated
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 2 tbs Better Than Bouillon Chicken flavored
- ½ cup red wine
- 8 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 green bell peppers thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 yellow bell pepper thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 /3 jalapenos thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic grated
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds broccolini baby broccoli or broccoli rabe
- 6 crusty Italian rolls
- 3-4 slices sharp provolone per sandwich
- Jarred pepperoncinis
- Combine all ingredients and knead bread according to directions on the package. Let the dough rest , covered, for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Divide into 6 equal portions and roll onto balls. Press to flatten into buns. Let rise for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with poppy seeds and bake 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool before making sandwiches.
- Combine ground fennel seeds, dried thyme, dried oregano, fresh rosemary and minced garlic. I mash it all up in a mortar and pestle. Generously rub the meat all over with this seasoning. (Ideally this should sit overnight, but I don’t usually have the time for that and it goes straight into the oven!)
- Preheat oven to 450* and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté the peppers and garlic in the olive oil till softened and caramelized. Set aside.
- After 30 minutes, add the stock, wine, tomatoes, and bay leaves to the pork.. Stir to combine. Cover the pan tightly and cook for another 15 minutes at 450* and reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Continue roasting the pork for 3 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare your broccoli by sautéing it in oil with garlic and red pepper, being careful not to burn the garlic. Sauté till bright green. Then lower the heat, cover pan and let steam a bit till leaves and buds are softened but stems are still a bit crunchy. Set aside.
- Remove the pork from the oven. Discard the bay leaves. Pull the pork in the pan with two forks, mixing everything in the juices.
- To Build the sandwich:
- Slice rolls in half cover with provolone on both sides and low broil in the oven til cheese is melted. Pile on pork with lots of the juices, cover with broccolini and peppers. Voila! Philly via Houston!
This Keto Philly Italian Pork Sandwich is a keto-friendly recipe.
Aunt Ger is our head Chef behind Ketonia, responsible for creating the delicious Ketonia products you know and love.
As a veteran french pastry chef, Geri strives to create delicious and keto-friendly recipes that are so good you won’t believe they’re low carb. Her passion for authentic food stems from her deep belief that you should love everything you eat. For Geri, Keto foods are no exception. From day one, Ketonia has had a commitment to creating the absolute best tasting and best for you keto food. So get your forks ready as mother-son team Geri and John take you on a keto culinary journey like you’ve never been on before!
Have something you’d like to see? Please send us a message. We’d love to take a shot at it! From drinks to desserts and everything in between, we love making the keto impossible, possible.
When you try out our recipes, please share your photos and tag us on social media! (@KetoniaFoods) It does more than you know to help our Woman-owned small business. Also, be sure to follow us so you’ll never miss a fun live recipe or flash sale.
Hungry for more? Check out more of Aunt Ger’s Keto Recipes here.
Are you interested in learning more about the Ketogenic diet? To reach your goals with keto, it’s important to understand the ins and outs of the ketogenic lifestyle. Check out our learning center articles to Understanding Keto here.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes, sales, discounts, and giveaways? Join our mailing list, The Monday Mealplan, and become a VIP Ketonian. Every week along with new keto recipes, you’ll get access to new keto products and exclusive VIP-only discounts! Sign up here!
Thanks again for stopping by! It’s customers like you who make Geri and John’s dream a reality!