Keto Loaded Baked “Potato” Soup
a La Julia Child
Keto Loaded Baked Cauliflower “Potato” Soup
- 6 tbsp butter divided
- 4 cups leeks white part only
- 6 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 cup leeks tender green part
- 1 whole cauliflower finely chopped
- 18 grams Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base or use a vegetable base for vegetarian version
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 12 slices bacon crumbled
- Melt half of the butter in a heavy saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in leeks and cook slowly without browning too much, for 5 minutes. Leeks will reduce and lose about half their volume.
- Add remaining butter and cauliflower bits. Bring heat to medium-high and cook all together stirring occasionally. If the mixture starts to brown, lower the heat a bit. The cauliflower will also reduce as it cooks.
- When veggies are tender (5 minutes or so) add 5 cups of the hot water and Better Than Bouillon. Simmer soup with the lid ajar, on low for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. The mixture should be fairly thick.
- For a more peasant style chunky soup, mash the vegetables with a potato masher. For a smoother texture us a hand blender to get it more consistently creamy. You can add a bit more hot water if you feel its too thick.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the cheddar cheese. Stir till melted and smooth.
- On low heat add additional cream and butter. Taste for salt and pepper, adjust accordingly.
- I like my bacon sprinkled on top with an additional bit of cheese, but feel free to stir in the bacon if you prefer!
- Additional toppings/garnish: Sour cream, sliced green onions or chives
- I had some asparagus in the fridge ready to go south, so, I sauteed them up with a bit of butter and sea salt. Pretty garnish and delish too!
Aunt Ger Tip
- Leeks tend to be sandy/gritty. The easiest way to clean them is to slice off and discard the root end. Slice the leek in half from top to bottom and discard 3 or 4 outer leaves. Slice into ¼ inch rounds. Fill a large bowl with cool water and add the leeks. Swish with your hands. The dirt will sink to the bottom and the clean leeks will float to the top! Remove the leeks with your hands into a strainer.
- I ALWAYS shred my own. Bagged shredded cheese has additives to keep the cheese from clumping. This can as much as DOUBLE your carb count!
This Keto Loaded Baked “Potato” Soup is a keto-friendly recipe.
Aunt Ger is our head Chef behind Ketonia, responsible for creating the delicious Ketonia products you know and love.
As a veteran french pastry chef, Geri strives to create delicious and keto-friendly recipes that are so good you won’t believe they’re low carb. Her passion for authentic food stems from her deep belief that you should love everything you eat. For Geri, Keto foods are no exception. From day one, Ketonia has had a commitment to creating the absolute best tasting and best for you keto food. So get your forks ready as mother-son team Geri and John take you on a keto culinary journey like you’ve never been on before!
Have something you’d like to see? Please send us a message. We’d love to take a shot at it! From drinks to desserts and everything in between, we love making the keto impossible, possible.
When you try out our recipes, please share your photos and tag us on social media! (@KetoniaFoods) It does more than you know to help our Woman-owned small business. Also, be sure to follow us so you’ll never miss a fun live recipe or flash sale.
Hungry for more? Check out more of Aunt Ger’s Keto Recipes here.
Are you interested in learning more about the Ketogenic diet? To reach your goals with keto, it’s important to understand the ins and outs of the ketogenic lifestyle. Check out our learning center articles to Understanding Keto here.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes, sales, discounts, and giveaways? Join our mailing list, The Monday Mealplan, and become a VIP Ketonian. Every week along with new keto recipes, you’ll get access to new keto products and exclusive VIP-only discounts! Sign up here!
Thanks again for stopping by! It’s customers like you who make Geri and John’s dream a reality!