- Dissolve the yeast and malt powder in the water and let proof for 5-10 minutes, until foamy.
- Use the mixer paddle attachment, hand whisk or wooden spoon to blend the flour and salt then add the liquids. By hand: work the dough vigorously for about 10 minutes. By stand mixer: continue mixing until the dough is shaggy and well hydrated, about one minute. Switch to dough hook and knead at medium speed for about 10 minutes. The dough will be ready when it’s smooth, silky, and stretches when you pull a pinch away from the mass.
- Turn the dough out onto your kneading surface (no additional flour!). Let rest 20 minutes, covered.
- Weigh out bagels to approximately 3 ounces. You should have 12.
- Roll each ball into an 8 or 9 inch log using both hands. Now wrap the log around your palm and use the bottom of your hand roll to secure ends together.
- Arrange the bagels on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 460°.
- Bring 3 to 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil, add 1 tbsp. malt powder. There may be some “scum” that rises to the top once it stars to boil, just skim it and discard.
- Take out chilled bagels and plunge them into the boiling water until they float. I did 3 at a time.
- Bake on a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 15-18 minutes until they’re a rich, glossy brown. Let cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes. Enjoy.
Aunt Ger is our head Chef behind Ketonia responsible for creating the delicious Ketonia products you know and love. Geri strives to create delicious and keto-friendly recipes as well as keto-fy your favorite comfort foods to help you reach your goals and enjoy the keto journey.
When you try out our recipes, please share your photos and tag us on social media! (@KetoniaFoods)
Let us know what you think of the recipes and which dishes or desserts you would love to see Aunt Ger keto-fy. We love seeing the Ketonia family loving both the recipes and our products. You guys are always our number one priority!
Hungry for more? Check out more of Aunt Ger’s Keto Recipes here:
Interested in learning more about the Ketogenic diet? In order to reach your goals with keto, it’s important to understand the ins and outs of the ketogenic lifestyle. Check out our learning center articles to Understanding Keto here.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes, sales, discounts, and giveaways? Join our mailing list and become a VIP Ketonian. Sign up here!